Stormwater Master Plan
The Village has developed a Village-wide Stormwater Master Plan (SWMP) that will enable NBV to assess the existing stormwater infrastructure, evaluate current and future drainage conditions, determine allowable level of flooding and identify improvements to address future rain, flood, and water quality concerns based on scientifically-backed projections and state-of-the-art modeling tools.
A PowerPoint presentation summarizing the SWMP is available here.
The full Stormwater Master Plan is available here.
• Report – completed in June 2022
• Design – scope and dates to be determined
• Bidding/Construction – scope and dates to be determined
Comments or Suggestions:
This questionnaire will help to provide insight for North Bay Village as they work towards making updates and improvements to alleviate flooding and increase the Village’s sustainability.
What is a stormwater system?
A stormwater system is designed to direct, collect, and drain rainwater away from roads, buildings, and public areas to limit flooding in the event of rain and storms. It is composed of a series of interconnected infrastructure components. These include underground pipes, storm drain inlets, pump stations, and swales all working together to comprise the overall system. Click here for an informational Stormwater 101 graphic.
Challenges facing North Bay Village:
- Aging seawalls and stormwater infrastructure
- Frequent sunny-day flooding occurrences
- Poor drainage after normal rainfall events causing standing water
- Vulnerable to rising sea levels AND rising groundwater
- Threats from increasing rainfall
- Stronger hurricanes triggering storm surges and inland flooding
How can the NBV stormwater master plan address the challenges?
- Increase the community’s ability to prepare for and withstand future flooding events
- Increase resilience consistent with the NBV100 Strategy
- Protect the Village’s infrastructure
- Preserve and increase property values
- Improve the quality of stormwater discharges into the Biscayne Bay
- Improve NBV’s ranking in the CRS program
Provide Your Feedback
Get Involved with our Flood Reporting Tool – Report Flooding and/or Provide Feedback
Access the flood map activity: http://bit.ly/NBVStormwater
- The Electronic Flooding Map is intended to help the project team better identify flooding problem areas that the Village is experiencing.
- Go through the comment field and fill in the questions.
- Click on the map and pinpoint exactly one location that experiences chronic flooding.
- You will see this when you log your answer!
- In the comment box below the map, you may elaborate and reference specific details regarding the flood event such as exact location, date, frequency, etc.
Meetings and Events
- Past Events
- Town Hall Meeting – Strategic Improvements of Drainage and Road Systems – September 8, 2022 – 6:30 PM (Hybrid Meeting) * A Community Town Hall discussion was held to discuss the future of North Bay Island and Harbor Island with regard to flooding, stormwater infrastructure, and roads. * View the presentation made to the community here.
- Town Hall Meeting – Strategic Improvements of Drainage and Road Systems – July 7, 2022 – 6:30 PM (Hybrid Meeting)
- Presentation at Regular Village Commission – June 20, 2022 – 6:00 PM (Hybrid Meeting)
- The Village Commission voted to adopt the Stormwater Master Plan after a presentation from BCC Engineering.
- Community Town Hall – April 6, 2022 6:30 PM (Hybrid Meeting)
- Town Hall Meeting – Stormwater Master Plan – December 8, 2021